7.12.2012

pimento cheese and courage


After a great estrogen-filled week [poor Pops] in North Louisiana, I am so happy to be back in SC with D. I can still taste all that rich summer food from mom's kitchen. And so can my thighs.


[The BEST] Classic and Easy Pimento Cheese
A Southern Living Recipe

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 4-oz. jar of diced pimento, drained
1 tsp. Worcestershire
1 tsp finely grated onion
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1 cup chopped pecans
1 8-oz. block extra sharp Cheddar, finely shredded
1 8-oz. block sharp Cheddar, coarsely shredded

Mix together mayo, pimento, Worcestershire, onion, and red pepper.

Toast pecans at 350 degrees in a single layer for 8-10 minutes or until toasted and fragrant. Stir halfway through.

Grate cheese. Add pecans and cheese to the mayo mixture. Stir until blended.

Eat on bread [especially grilled] or crackers or, my personal favorite, a fork. Oh - or between two fried green tomatoes.


After a two day trek, I hopped right back in the car, plugged an address into the Garim [per usual], and twisted through two hours worth of tight Lowcountry roads. I was in such of a hurry that I had no idea which direction I was driving, but the increase in palmetto trees on the side of the road kind of gave it away. I was the last one to find a seat in one of the classrooms of the unexpectedly small technical college and listened for two hours as a seasoned florists told us all of her tips and tricks in a thick Savannah accent. As she was talking about pricing your work, she said, "You can add $5 if you feelin' like you are worth more today." I love her already. She also said she was feeling "all puffed up" after finding out that I drove so far to attend the class. I can't wait to go back.

I've never really gone after much without a connection or what seemed like the proper training or some experience. The bottom line is that I want to be a florist, but I have none of the previously mentioned comforts - especially connections. So this is a brand new journey which could [but hopefully will not] end in a crash and burn. Or it could take a lot longer than planned. Or...it could be really good. I have hope that it'll be really good.


No comments:

Post a Comment