6.18.2011

table for two

The first birthday that I celebrated with the future hubs, I was still really horrible at this shopping-for-boys-who-don't-like-stuff thing. Still not great at it, to be honest. So, along with a few other ideas, I did the whole dinner and a movie coupon. Since it's been a while, I went ahead and redeemed it for him for Friday date night. He deserves it, you know? One of the hardest workers I've ever known. And I could always use some cooking practice since the year-one budget doesn't allow for too much eating out.

I don't want to brag or anything, but it was pretty de-lish. That's why I wanted to share this fool proof, pretty healthy meal with y'all. In the 8:30-5 life, I had to cook fast, so I didn't take any step-by-step pics, but here's some info about the final outcome. 

Marinated grilled chicken with tomato basil sauce, grilled asparagus, and smothered with fresh mozzarella. Paired with whole wheat rotini tossed with olive oil, chopped basil, and minced garlic. 


I marinated the chicken with the best and easiest marinade for about 20 hours in the fridge: equal parts soy sauce and zesty italian dressing, salt and pepper. The asparagus was grilled on the Foreman with olive oil and sliced garlic cloves. Then you just pile it all up and stick it in the oven for about 10 minutes on 350. 

Please ignore the extra-thick slice of mozzarella that may have killed the healthiness of the dish. I was hoping to cut it a little smaller and thinner, but our college apartment hand-me-down knives didn't do the trick. I gotta tell you, those knives on our wedding registry are one of my most coveted potential possessions.

For my little bit fancy (but still easy) salad, I used endive, chopped apple, goat cheese, pecan, and homemade balsamic vinaigrette. There was a little bread and herb-dipping sauce, too. But that's a given.


And our little dessert-splurge. I told D to ignore the sounds of the prepackaging as I got it out of the fridge. Whole Foods knows how to make a mean fruit tart. 






Happy as a clam:






































And I got a little thank-you-for-cooking surprise. If I were a chef, I'd like to get paid in peonies. 


No comments:

Post a Comment