3.26.2012

DIYable: mini chalkboards

Happy Monday, y'all! I'm happy to report that there is sunshine in the forecast for each and every day this week. Small blessings!

This weekend was full of girlfriends and teeny tiny baby clothes and daisies and cupcakes. Yes, it was as great as it sounds. Friday night, I ate dinner with these ladies. I had every intention of not staying long because of the cupcakes that needed baking and the flowers that needed arranging for the shower the next morning. But I couldn't. We ate and talked and ate and talked. On the menu: Mere's pork chops, good bread, salad with strawberries, drunken goat cheese, chocolate, and change. All things good for the soul.


Before I go on and on and on about how fab-u-lous the shower was, here is a little DIY. I was really wanting these for future entertaining. But in the interest of time and the budget and in the spirit of repurposing, I decided my muscle man and I could make them out of pallet wood and chalkboard paint.

I wanted to make twelve, so I chose three of the pallet slats that were closest to the same size. Because of holes and metal scraps, you won't be able to use the entire slat - so keep that in mind.


It would certainly have been easier to use a circular saw, but poor D has no place to use it in apartment life. Next year, maybe! But they are totally handsaw-able. He cut them every 2 1/2 inches.


Seeing as how I was born unorganized, I couldn't find my package of sand paper. Nail files will suffice. I'm not kidding. Sand/file down the rough edges and the entire side that you plan to paint.

I wanted the chalkboard paint to be in a shape something other than just rectangular, so I hand sketched them onto each block. I'm totally OK with each of them looking a little imperfect. But, if you are not, stencils would work great for you.


Then paint and let dry and paint again and let dry again. I believe the chalkboard paint instructions tell you to lightly sand in between the two coats.


And then...


Free for me! I do plan to get a liquid chalk pen that will look nicer on the blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment